Short Film on Schizophrenia Depression Syndrome
– Voices…murmurs of the mind
Before dealing with the film and the characters, let us first understand what is Schizophrenia .
Schizophrenia is a serious disorder which affects how a person thinks, feels and acts. Someone with schizophrenia may have difficulty distinguishing between what is real and what is imaginary; may be unresponsive or withdrawn; and may have difficulty expressing normal emotions in social situations.
Contrary to public perception, schizophrenia is not split personality or multiple personality. The vast majority of people with schizophrenia are not violent and do not pose a danger to others. Schizophrenia is not caused by childhood experiences, poor parenting or lack of willpower, nor are the symptoms identical for each person.
What Causes Schizophrenia?
The cause of schizophrenia is still unclear. Some theories about the cause of this disease include: genetics (heredity), biology (abnormalities in the brain’s chemistry or structure); and/or possible viral infections and immune disorders.
What are the Early Warning Signs of Schizophrenia?
The signs of schizophrenia are different for everyone. Symptoms may develop slowly over months or years, or may appear very abruptly. The disease may come and go in cycles of relapse and remission.
Behaviors that are early warning signs of schizophrenia include:
- Hearing or seeing something that isn’t there
- A constant feeling of being watched
- Peculiar or nonsensical way of speaking or writing
- Strange body positioning
- Feeling indifferent to very important situations
- Deterioration of academic or work performance
- A change in personal hygiene and appearance
- A change in personality
- Increasing withdrawal from social situations
- Irrational, angry or fearful response to loved ones
- Inability to sleep or concentrate
- Inappropriate or bizarre behavior
- Extreme preoccupation with religion or the occult
What are the Symptoms of Schizophrenia?
A medical or mental health professional may use the following terms when discussing the symptoms of schizophrenia.
Positive symptoms are disturbances that are “added” to the person’s personality.
- Delusions –false ideas–individuals may believe that someone is spying on him or her, or that they are someone famous (or a religious figure).
- Hallucinations –seeing, feeling, tasting, hearing or smelling something that doesn’t really exist. The most common experience is hearing imaginary voices that give commands or comments to the individual.
- Disordered thinking and speech –moving from one topic to another, in a nonsensical fashion. Individuals may also make up their own words or sounds, rhyme in a way that doesn’t make sense, or repeat words and ideas.
- Disorganized behavior –this can range from having problems with routine behaviors like hygiene or chosing appropriate clothing for the weather, to unprovoked outbursts, to impulsive and uninhibited actions. A person may also have movements that seem anxious, agitated, tense or constant without any apparent reason.
Negative symptoms are capabilities that are “lost” from the person’s personality.
- Social withdrawal
- Extreme apathy (lack of interest or enthusiasm)
- Lack of drive or initiative
- Emotional flatness
Read Full Article – www.mentalhealthamerica.net
The Film :Voices…Murmurs Of The Mind
Story Of Pritha
A housewife with a college going daughter. Husband leaves for office. Has a full time maid. Yet she is inattentive to her surroundings! She is imagining things – she is often caught talking to herself by her daughter or husband…and they make fun of her!
When the situation starts to move out of hands, her husband takes her to a psychiatrist – but it was too late…they had already lost their LOVED ONE – because of sheer negligence!
Pritha’s case was that she had lost her mother at a very early age and her father had married her off in a haste just as soon as she passed her college. She never got the opportunity to use her knowledge or talent…and her talents went unappreciated!
This is a very common thing seen in our world! Parents send their children to the best of schools and colleges, encourage them to pursue extra curricular activities etc…..but when they come of age and want to utilize their talents…they are immediately shunned and then hastily married off to anyone they (parents) think is suitable! This happens specially in case of daughters. Parents (esp. Indian) become paranoid just as soon as their daughters step into their 20’s.
Every parent must see this film – Let your daughter bloom fully – give her time to explore/ express herself – before hastily marrying her off to someone supposedly well settled !
Every spouse should see this film – Spend quality time with your life partner – who are you working for? What are you working for… if you neglect the person who is your life partner?
Every Child should see this film – Don’t be so selfish! – if your parents need you, you should stand by them like a mountain – they are the ones who have shown you this beautiful world – nourished and educated you, giving your time and love is the least that is expected!